Wednesday, March 09, 2005

An Oxymoron: The "Best" of Dan Rather

While the "best" of Dan Rather might seem an oxymoron, check out The Media Research Center's post here.

One of most amazing things about Rather is the fact that he appears to be completely unaware of his own bias (either that or he is a bald-faced liar).

I'm biased. I know and admit I am biased. Fortunately, no one has asked me to put myself in a position where I have to represent myself as UNBIASED, because, frankly, it would not be possible. In fact, I don't think I know anyone who is NOT biased.

But isn't it reasonable to expect that people in the news media (not the editorialists or commentators, but the 'hard news' folks) reign in their personal opinion and present the FACTS as clearly and unadorned as possible, so that the viewer/listener/reader can make up their own minds? Isn't it total arrogance for the mainstream media to believe that they have to tell us what to think? As if we are incapable of coming up with our own valid opinions based on reality?

And knowing that the public is becoming more and more skeptical of the media, don't you think they would bend over backwards to avoid the appearance of bias?

No comments: