Monday, June 06, 2005

Rapidly Approaching Saturation

Is it just me, or are things becoming more fast and furious? People's patience shorter and shorter?

I just read an article in BusinessWeek about camps for kids where there is no technology allowed (ohmigosh--no iPODs, IM'ing, internet, cell phones). People have to send their kids AWAY for this?

Of course, we do the same thing as adults. We have to go on vacation to 'relax'.

I wonder if we are heading toward implosion.

It will be interesting to see what our kids are like as adults. I predict that one of two things will happen.


  1. They will just think this pace is 'business as usual' and will have no problems.
  2. They will 'burn out' by the time they are 30, chuck it all and adopt a more bohemian lifestyle.
A survey I saw a few years ago in some women's magazine ask kids about their parents' careers (moms especially). Most moms predicted that the kids would say that they wished their moms didn't work. What kids actually said was that they wished their moms were less hassled and frustrated with their work.

Yikes.


James Murphy, a former Air Force pilot who has become a management consultant, has a new book on the market, Flawless Execution. In it he states, "As task saturation increases, performance decreases."

I think I'm rapidly approaching saturation... Wonder what will happen when I get there?




    No comments: