Monday, September 19, 2005

Support for Voter Photo IDs

I just came across this excellent post from LaShawn Barber on voter photo IDs. Read the whole thing.

I have often wondered myself how many people actually lack photo IDs. The left assumes that anyone poor, elderly, or from a minority group does not have a photo ID. I have yet to see any hard facts quoted to support this assertion. Since anyone who drives or cashes checks has to have a photo ID, this would eliminate anyone who has a job, a car, or receives welfare checks (which should pretty much cover everyone except street people and the elderly).

If you make photo IDs available in nursing homes (where the residents have to be driven by healthcare workers to get to the polls), that eliminates the elderly objection. Many elderly people who live independently have access to bus lines or friends/family members who can drive them to appointments. I'm sure the 'Get out the Vote' volunteers could be mobilized quickly to transport people to get voter IDs in advance of an election.

It is embarrassing to me that we dismiss voter IDs as being too much 'hassle' in an era where people in the Middle East are risking their lives for the privilege of voting in free elections. You know, many things in life are a 'hassle'. Going to work every day is a 'hassle'. Paying taxes is a 'hassle'. A once-in-a-lifetime requirement to register in order to help prevent election fraud (and make sure when I go through the 'hassle' of voting, my vote wasn't canceled by a fraudulent vote) seems like a small price to pay.


No comments: